Nym VPN disconnects after switching user profiles in android

I’m on GrapheneOS (android 17) and I have Nym VPN on all my user profiles but every time I switch from one to another the connection on that new profile stops. I switch profiles often so having to wait for the VPN to reconnect every time I go into a profile is very noticeable.

Is this just an Android thing or could it be fixed by Nym? It doesn’t seem to happen when using “private spaces”, and I assume user profiles still make network connections in the background since I still get system and app updates, it only seems to fail when switching user profiles.

Hi there, can you tell us a bit more about the behaviour you expect from the app? Would you like to be able to connect across multiple profiles simultaneously?

Every time I perform a warm or cold restart on my smartphone, NymVPN—when set to a profile other than “Owner”—is unable to connect, even after several attempts. The app cannot reconnect on its own, even after several minutes. I’ve also tried the anti-censorship options, but without success. I have to open the app itself and tap the reconnect option. It’s unbelievable and not practical at all.

Sorry @Blaze, it hasn’t been reported previously. can you provide logs for this and some details about the device, OS you’re on? Also let us know if restarting the app/changing gateways or modes helps with connecting.

I’m mainly testing Nym VPN on a Google Pixel 6a running GrapheneOS (the latest version).
Recently, I uninstalled Nym VPN because I was fed up with its erratic behaviour ( and also on Linux, where you have to enter my user account password to connect the daemon to the graphical application. I find this inconvenient and clunky. )
So I don’t have any log files available. I tried changing the mode and gateway, but it didn’t work. What do I have to gain by spending any more time testing this app, which has finally gotten on my last nerve ? Maybe I’ll try out the latest version of NymVPN on my Pixel 6a again, or maybe not.
What log files would you need, just in case I change my mind about NymVPN ?

I’ve reported it to the devs. If you’d like to help further with the investigation. you can find the required files in Settings > Logs (daemon logs)

You can also request for refunds during the first 30 days of your subscription. And we offer extensions to everyone who helps identify bugs.

I just submitted a bug report ( request 19992 ) with the log files.
I hope this will help resolve the issue.

1 Like